Thursday, November 1, 2012

How I used to use Theme and Thesis to develop a screenplay

The following information is stupid:

I don't.  Well, I don't pick a theme and start because...

Theme...the thematic question....is the goal line for the writer.  Once you find your theme.  It's time to move on to a new story.  So sure you may have a great idea of what it is halfway through writing it but forget about nailing it down.

Theme is like the anti-goal.  It's the goal line that let's you know your done but you don't want to reach it before the story is written.

So this is how I start:

I write some scenes with characters talking.  Incorporate locations and costumes and build the world.  I write till I get a personal goal line.  I write until I get a competing personal goal line.  Main character wants this but he also wants this.  Each goal line supported by another character trying to convince my character to work towards it.

Then I try to figure out what each personal goal means.  Meaning, what thesis is each goal line representing.  And I label the thesis one word.  Like Safe vs. Risk.  Hope vs. Fear.  etc.  Then I write until I get a story goal line.  And I write to see which personal goal line is leading to the reaching of the story goal line.  Then I turn the story goal line into a theme.  A question.  then i write the ending. and i'm done.

Here's an example.  Luke skywalker wants to be a successful Jedi.  So I create two Jedi's.    I have darth vader supporting the idea of using the force.  And I have Ben supporting the idea of allowing the force to use him.

So I pull back out of those thesis and find the thematic goal "I want to be a successful Jedi."
Theme:  "What makes a successful Jedi."  No.  I don't look for theme at this point.  It wouldn't help me.  Theme is the goal line for the writer.  So getting there at this point, without having written so much...you can see.

At this point I need to allow the creative force to use me.  yeah baby.

So i'm writing these scenes...and it's probably no where near the final draft version, right?  I probably have scenes with Darth and Luke in the same room.  So ideas come and go and blah blah blah.

So I name these two goals.  To use the force.  To let the force use me.  My two thesis.

So i also have scenes with ben illustrating with luke how the force can use him.

so i'm writing scenes with luke using the force and allowing the force to use him.


So I ask myself how do I illustrate in a big way which one of these thesis works better?  So luke is training with weapons, probably make a big weapon he can use.  or a big weapon he has to stop with another weapon.

Jet fighters.  Air fight.

well, if Darth vader represent using the force.  Create a big weapon he can showcase that thesis.  Death Star.  So i go back early in the story and show how the force can be used.  Death star blows up planet.  Nice illustration of the use of The Force.

Obiwan with blindfold on luke.  Nice illustration of the force using Luke.

hmmm.  Okay so I get the idea that the death star will be used again.   So Luke must choose which thesis he will become and stop the death star.

then i get the idea that he won't choose until the last possible minute.  He's working through both thesis up until the last second.

Theme: So what makes a successful jedi?




Thesis:
Writing is a tough journey because you start with nothing and build toward something.

Thesis:
Analysis is easy because you start with everything and deconstruct toward nothing.

Thesis:
It's always easier to destroy.


No comments:

Post a Comment